Tuesday, March 28, 2006

my new target--knock knock. generic-looking 1L?

so i get my new guy. he is totally generic. i will never be able to figure out who he is, even in a classroom. i don't even want to wait this long. after spending sunday wasting time dreaming of the kill and mapping out his class schedule, etc., i decide to try to figure out where he lives. well, regular old internet doesn't have this information. but i am wily and i have ways around this problem. hurrah! so i look him up and get a c-ville address. now, i'm not quite sure this makes sense b/c he's a 1L and this info is generally from a while back, and it's also a complex where people with families live, but i figure that's ok, it won't hurt to try.

at some point, i become a little trepidatious about this plan. so i enlist lexi. we know it's trouble when you ask lexi to be your voice of reason/stabilizing force to keep you from doing stupid things. you know it's even bigger trouble when lexi thinks this might be going too far. which is what she decides when we pull my car up to in front of the apartment building.

well, i'm not letting her out so easy. so i give her the lines. i realize that she needs to take an active role b/c if he answers the door with his immunity on, i don't want to reveal my identity to him. so i give her her lines. if he's wearing his immunity, then she says something to the effect of sorry, must be the wrong apartment. if the person opening the door is not wearing the immunity, we ask if my target is home and work from there.

well, we follow thru with this plan, but quite clearly those dwelling in this apartment are not my target and anyone else related to him. they appear to be foreigners who have no idea why two loud jittery girls are knocking on their door at 8pm on a sunday night, while the one wields a sock like a weapon and wears a hat and sunglasses (i had changed into a winter hat, so as to be less suspicious, but still.)

in the end, both lexi and i conclude that it is just as well we had the wrong place, but this is probably good practice for the future when creepy becomes a necessity, not just something i do for fun. we also say we will keep this just between the two of us, but clearly that's not true. she and i both have big mouths and i just posted the story on the internet. also, i become very glad to have lexi (last name removed to protect her identity when her firm googles her) in my life. we may not make the wisest decisions, but at least someone will come along when i'm making stupid decisions. that's good stuff.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lexi said...

LAURA!!!!

I hope no one at my firm googles me and finds out how creepy I am!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Lexi said...

Well, thanks for removing my last name - being googled by my firm is very high up on the list of things I am paranoid about.

Also, I just realized that you changed the name of your blog. The tag line "fear my sock..." made me laugh out loud. In my seminar. About the Holocaust. We are discussing Auschwitz. A very appropriate time to laugh.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home