Wednesday, February 14, 2007

valentine's day is for reminding those close to you why they aren't loved by someone more special

my father took a subtle approach. his card is supposed to be funny. it's a heart-shaped box with only one candy left in it, surrounded by a bunch of empty wrappers. and the candy is saying, "i bet they just can't see me in all these wrappers." and the caption is, "what the maple nougat tells himself, day #24." I MEAN, MAYBE I AM THE MAPLE NOUGAT! MAYBE THAT WASN'T THE RIGHT WAY TO SAY HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! AND WHO DOESN'T LIKE MAPLE NOUGAT ANYWAYS?!?! IT IS A TASTY CONFECTION! (actually, i don't think my dad would have ever even thought of that interpretation, but i thought it, and it's my blog.)

but my grandmother went with a far less subtle tact. a nice hallmark card that says all sorts of sweet things, and then a nice handwritten note (which cutely even asks, "will there be a party or dance?") but then, across the card, in a different color, and clearly written at a different time, is the following handwritten note--"don't take this as a criticism, but a spot on TV said that people who sleep more lose weight more easily."

so do you think she's saying i don't sleep enough or that i need to lose weight? either way, i'm pretty sure my mom will get a kick out of it.

and HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO YOU! if you're the sort of person who cares about such things at all. and even if you're not.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heart Maple Nougat.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Lexi said...

I like the card your dad got, it's funny. So, per your advice, I am letting Aaron be sweet even though it kills me, but he seems very happy, so I guess that is good.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's it! i'm going to bed now and not waking up until saturday!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

KWalsh got me the maple nougat card as well... hrmm...

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG . . . can't you send your Grandmother's card to Jay Leno show or something? That's ridiculous.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I hadn't seen you tonight I wouldn't believe you were alive.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Brian J. Leung said...

It has officially been 11 days since your last post. I am concerned, but mostly angry.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home