Tuesday, December 19, 2006

any tech geniuses out there?

so my IM smileys have not worked for like forever and this has never bothered me and i actually have some sort of vague recollection of having turned the feature off years ago, b/c i did not want to send smileys and i guess i figured that i would not receive them either and well, i'm sure you know enough about me by now to not be surprised to hear that i had no idea the two were not related, etc etc.

well i have just downloaded the new AIM version and now, rather than just getting the =) or whatever the person entered on the other end (which is what I had always gotten with the previous verion, i am receiving smileys as an error picture box (the smiley does not load, but i get a box with a red X and the keystrokes from the other user). this is annoying! also, i have decided that while i may not want to send smileys, i do want to see what other people are saying and their way of saying it is important and if that is smileys, then smileys it should be, even if they opt to use the particularly annoying ones. also, megan pointed out the other week that i don't even make smileys in a way that AIM recognizes and changes them, so this whole thing was never even an issue to begin with and it's just another computer problem i have totally created for myself.

anyways, eli and i just spent 30 minutes trying to figure this out and navigating the AIM "help" page and their answer does not translate to the new version and with my computer, it doesn't even fix the problem on the old version and well, my computer is crazy, as we all know.

so we decided that we would send our question to the nice people at the AIM help service. and i typed up this whoooole explanation of my problem and even ended with an amusing and very friendly little anecdote about eli and i and our efforts and how we were about to go crazy and please how i hoped they could help us! only before you send your "report," you have to click a box that tells you think is not a service to actually get you an answer and it is just a way for you to send them complaints and they will probably never even read or care about my smiley problem, since all the people who have become aware of this are pretty convinced that this is a laura-unique problem and just another example of technology hating me.

so, anyone have any suggestions for how to fix this, so that if you try to IM me with multi-colored emoticons with all the latest features i can receive them? if so, that would be great. i'd love you forever.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the new AIM is just retarded. I downloaded it and used it for a little while and it wouldn't show my buddy icon anywhere, even though it was an icon I chose from them. I like oldAIM better.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Lexi said...

I'm fighting getting the new AIM. I like the old one. I resist all technilogical change.

And my iPod is broken.

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home