Wednesday, June 07, 2006

friends in response to shell-shocked

so i don’t normally ask people about grades. well, maybe i do. i am a bit nosy. but i think that i’m worried that people will think i’m nosy if i ask about grades, so i generally don’t. anyways, this bothered me enough that i emailed a bunch of people to ask how they did.

the thing about when people are upset is that everyone has their own way of trying to reply and fix things. but what actually helps depends on any number of things and some of the things people say to help only even make things worse. and what placates me in response to one thing, may just upset me more in response to the thing that upset me the next week.

1) i suppose that what really counts is that people care enough to try at all and that in itself should help. which it does. 2) sometimes someone sends exactly the right thing to say and that is amazing and makes you so appreciative of the friends that you have and of your life at that very moment, when even tho things may suck in some regards they can be more perfect than you can even understand in others.

one person’s email this morning was right on in response to the problem itself, which is just b/c misery loves company and b/c this person was the right person for that task. but then another friend sent an email that was so the perfect thing to say to laura in general, and yet somehow made more appropriate to this laura who has been upset by this thing at this particular moment that it had me crying in my office, which is a good thing, but only b/c the hallways were empty while people were at lunch but would not have been a good thing if anyone had walked in while my eyes were still red.

looking at it again, it was maybe the simplest email ever and may have actually been cut and pasted from an email i sent to him previously, and maybe i am just an overly-emotional freak show. but i suppose i’ll give the kid credit anyways. but all that aside—thanks to those of you who tried. =)

1 Comments:

Blogger Lexi said...

I can at least keep you company at the bottom of the curve. Sigh, I wish I could say something more supportive, but I'm still wallowing in my own discontent with my grades.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home