Sunday, March 11, 2007

another boo

so my final cite check is supposed to be out of my hands by mid-week. i'm not sure if you recall that b/c of delays in getting my last one, it was in my hands during finals first semester and the christmas break. and now this one came to me the day before spring break! booooooo.

anyways, i'm the articles editor, so my job is to make sure that everyone else's cite checks are turned in and accurate and that the changes are entered. well, it turns out that fixing 300 footnotes sucks way more than fixing 20 and every time one of these comes my way, i kick myself for having signed up for the job. but the kicker is some of the ed board. i'm sure you can imagine that every cite check team has one or two people that make my job WAY harder than it would normally have to be.

my group has one girl that is AWFUL. she has never turned anything in at all on time, and will then email every few days to apologize and say that she'll have it in to me by "tonight," which invariably means that 3 days later i'll have to email her again and ask her where it is.

anyways, the last cite check was due 9 1/2 days ago. BEFORE spring break. there were a series of about 30 emails among the whole group the week leading up to that date b/c there were lots of problems getting some of the books, etc etc. i worked with everyone to make sure they had what they could get and we would work out the rest of the kinks after break. people were offering to come back early and crap, and i told them that was just crazy b/c this is a cite check whose author couldn't get back to us on time and we're not hurrying back from tropical dessert islands for that.

but anyways.

so on sunday, four days after the cite check is due (and the first time i have internet access), i learn that the usual suspect has not sent in her cite check. not even the usual explanation that "she's working on it" and is "so sorry" and will have it to me "by the end of the day." so i send an email asking her about the status.

which she has just replied to, 7 days later (fine, i suppose not everyone has internet access on spring break, but i'm not 100% willing to believe that is the case)--
Wow, I left for spring break and totally forgot about this. Cross my
heart that i'll send it to you by the end of the day, and apologies for being
the big pain during your last cite check duties...

yes, that makes TOTAL sense. i mean, the slew of 30 emails the previous week probably didn't tip you off to the fact that you had a cite check due. fair enough.

NO! NOT FAIR ENOUGH! you are a lazy cretin who has now done this for EVERY SINGLE cite check in the last year. AND she applied for the managing board! in a position that would involve timeliness! and promptness! and not screwing things up for other people to make their lives more of a pain!

anyways, i realize that this is one of those things that could get me in trouble, but i kinda figure that if you've now done this AGAIN, it's fair for me to anonymously rant about it, even if you can figure out who you are. anyways, so that's what i have to do today. deal with 300 footnotes. and want to shoot myself. mmmmm, sweet. at least i'll be really tan while doing so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home