Monday, May 08, 2006

my latest ailment

so i have another gimpy ailment that i think must be the result of some sort of trauma (give me credit for having ruled out cancer.)

my right index finger hurts all the time. it's the worst at the knuckle where it connects to my hand and i think that it might not actually hurt anywhere else, but since any pressure at all on the finger affects the joint where it connects to the hand, that doesn’t help much. it started a couple of months ago (at that phase i thought it was arthritis), but it is has gotten increasingly worse in the last week and it is really bad now. so that my right hand is basically always in pain and when i wake up in the morning, i can barely use my right hand. so i took it to my usual team of experts.

some of my friends think it’s from typing, but i think that’s crazy talk. tho it turns out that a lot of people are having problems with carpal tunnel and things like that, but i just don't think that would result in pain in this one finger.

secondly, i went to the big guns--my mom. she thinks it's the typing too. but it was her next remark that really unsettled me--"You know I can't use that finger hardly at all now--joint sticks." sweet. so this runs in the family too? this is what i have to look forward to? but i take issue w/ her findings anyways b/c i still just can't believe this is related to typing and b/c i figure that my mom has 30 years on me. i mean, we all expect our bodies to start falling apart in our 50s, but i'm only 26! i'm no spring chicken, but i shouldn't be having perpetual searing pain in my right hand that precludes me from using it! at 26! that sucks! even if you say i'm pushing 30, that still seems premature.

so finally i consulted derek as an expert b/c i figured that he has a lot of experience with people typing a lot. i figured that if anyone would know about the kind of damage that could result from lots of typing, it would be someone who works with computers and talks all day to people who use their computers relentlessly. he's totally qualified. and he concurs that this does not sound like a pain from typing.

a few of my friends have had MRIs lately and i have decided that this is exactly what i need to diagnose my pain. i don't actually really know what am MRI is, except that it does seem financially impractical for this task. but i've never had an MRI and you never know when the occassion for one is going to come up again. so that's what i've got my heart set on now.

which kinda reminds me of the medical experiment i had my heart set on last time i went home, which wound up being a real disappointment. and is a story i won't go into today. you are spared.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lexi said...

I wouldn't get an MRI with our shitty student insurance. Fargin' stiches cost me $270, and an MRI sounds way more expensive than stiches.

That's something you'll need to wait for good health insurance for. I think firms provide it. Speaking of firms providing, I just got a check from mine. Huzzah for money. Even though I am seething at how much was taken out in taxes! Seething I tell you.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tell more exam stories...

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home