Monday, January 15, 2007

thumbs up to laura for cleaning the SBA fridges

yes, the SBA fridges, those bastions of long-forgotten baby carrots, half-eaten sandwiches, and never-consumed individual yogurts, are slightly more clean (and significantly less disgusting), thanks to yours truly.

my more-than-just-slightly compulsive nature was triggered at the bar tonight when one of the barbacks was picking up empty glasses from all around the room. eli could see it in my eyes. i don't know how he kept me from helping her out.

and on the way home, i decided it was time--the SBA fridges needed to be cleaned. we had received warnings they would do so over break, but i was there this week and i can tell you, those were not fridges that had had anything removed from them in about 5 months. and people are starting to return to class tomorrow. i mean, if there is a time to do it, it was tonight.

initially, i thought i would feel slightly guilty. i'm a girl that has lost 1 hour old general tso's chicken to an SBA-fridge cleaning (first year, when they did this more than once a year) and it hurt a lot. but i figured i could overcome that by listing all of the justifications for doing it tonight:
  1. we had received an email warning us the fridges would be cleaned over break.
  2. school has been out for a month.
  3. it is 2 am monday morning, meaning that even people who used the fridge just this past week have left things in the fridge over the weekend.

there really was no more ideal time to do it. so off i went to the law school, armed with a bottle of antibacterial lemon-scented 409 spray, a roll of paper towels, and a few kitchen trash bags. [in the end, after seeing the things i cleaned out of there, i decided to feel no guilt b/c it was quite clear that any damage i may have done to legitimate food items was FAR outweighed by the vast array ridiculously disgusting things with long-ago expiration dates that i threw out.]

well, a few garbage bags seemed not to have been forward-thinking enough. fortunately, a quick convo with my favorite janitor remedied both that problem and the problem of lugging all of the bags out to a dumpster. good thing he left me with one of the rolling dumpsters, since i wound up clearing out about 8 full-sized garbage bags of trash. [shout out to my janitor friend. WHAT WHAT.]

if it was a can or bottle that could be recycled, i emptied it and recycled it; if it was a gladware whose owner forgot he/she put it in the fridge months ago, too bad, i threw it away; if it was a tasty-looking lean cuisine, i somehow managed to resist the temptation to move it to my own freezer at home; and if it was an exploded can of something that had stained the walls of the fridge, i sprayed the bejeezus out of it with my 409. all in all, a very solid effort.

as a matter of fact, i think someone (ahem, lexi/aaron), should use their PILA-purchased ANG thumbs up to give me a shout out in the upcoming edition of the law weekly. it is wrong to use my own on me, but it also seems wrong that the world's citizens not know of this good i have done for them. and when i say "the world's citizens," i mean "law weekly readers."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! I will submit an ANG Thumbs Up myself, because I think that was simply above and beyond the call of duty. This is what makes UVA Law such a special place.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Lexi said...

Remind me to use my ANG thumbs up on you and I will!

You are an LS hero!

And I'm sure you found my pizza from a year ago in there.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Sarah PB & J said...

Thank you! Thank you! I noticed they were cleaned this morning, and thought, "well SBA did finally get around to it..." But NO --- you are the true hero!

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home