Monday, September 04, 2006

a few things

first of all, it seems that a number of people have tried to visit my blog since last i posted and to you all, i apologize for having not updated more frequently. it will be interesting to see if my being a 3L makes me totally lazy in all aspects of my life or if i update more frequently b/c i am not working. actually, i have a feeling the truth is that i will update less frequently b/c i will not be searching so desperately for ways to procrastinate.

secondly, i happened to just see a line from my own blog and i would like to commend myself on being fairly funny sometimes. "FEEL MY WRATH, DEMONS OF SHUTTERFLY!" is the line to which i am referring. i'm sorry, but that's pretty funny.

i would like to give a shout out to lexi and me b/c we have actually been going to classes at the gym. unfortunately there aren't really classes on fridays and saturdays and i could not go today b/c my parents were in town and i can't go tomorrow b/c i have a class inconveniently scheduled at 7pm, thereby eliminating all of the gym classes that would not result in my having a heart attack. so it is not a great start, but i think that we are committed to working out with the other 60-year old women. and to that i would like to say "what what." ("what what" is the latest slang i have learned. i say it a lot these days. perhaps i will discuss it at length in a later post, which is a presumptive of me to say, since it implies that i would be interested in giving some sort of cohesiveness to my posts. but i will try.) anyways, lexi has a lovely discussion of our time together at the gym, posted here.

i would also like to give a shout out to my parents, who have spent the last 2 days visiting. first and foremost, my parents are absolutely too good to me. while most people have to perform a most vigorous cleaning of the apartment in advance of the parent's descent into town, i opt to ignore the task for a month or two, knowing that my mom is going to swoop into cville with her cleaning supplies in hand and give it a very thorough cleaning. and she won't even give me any guilt about it.

and while she does that, my father sits on my couch and sorts all of my important papers and financial records from the past year. and i do mean, literally, the last year. since the last time it got done was last labor day weekend when he came and did it. i think he wants to cry every time he does it. or throttle me. last year when he came, he was very upset to realize that i was driving around with proof of insurance that had expired a year ago. meaning that i had never put the new one in in february when it came or in august when it had come. he had the same realization this year. i think it was less forgiveable this year and actually i don't blame him. the thing is that i have been paying my insurance all this time, but i'm not quite sure why the new card doesn't come in some bright pink folder that says something like, "pay attention to what is in this folder laura because it is your NEW PROOF OF INSURANCE that NEEDS TO BE PUT IN YOUR CAR immediately upon receipt." it would all be in caps, except that we know i would think that was too over the top and i wouldn't read it if it was all in caps.

but it's going to matter less in the future b/c it is clearly the time for me to find a man to keep my car insurance records and bank statements in line. i know this b/c my parents also came bearing my birthday gifts. now, you have to know that my mother is a zealous catholic and she always gives all of her children what we call "god books" for all gift-giving holidays. you can see them lined up, unread, on all of our bookshelves. well, this year, i got not only a god book, but a book entitled, "the ABCs of choosing a good husband." yes. seriously. now i think this means that it is time for this man to enter my life b/c my mom has always thought that i was not yet ready to meet this man and that is why god had not brought him into my life yet and i figure that since my mom and god are so tight, the giving of this book means that it is time and he is right around the corner. also, i had been saying all summer that he's going to be a 1L. i had meant it as a joke, but clearly i should start leering a bit more at bar review and see what happens.

despite the greatness of those highlights, i also enjoyed other birthday gifts and time with my family. we went and bought me some golf clubs!! which is very exciting. they are pink and beautiful and the first step in my being the next big thing to hit the LPGA tour and not need to use my law degree. and then b/c they know i can't do anything by myself, they actually took me over to birdwood and we checked out the driving range. they're good parents.

and then of course there were the obligatory meals at nice restaurants with my friends. cassis with rob, lexi, and aaron yesterday and OXO with eli tonight. because they were so good (my parents, not the dinners), i let them do something they wanted to do and today we went to visit some wineries. it was an absolutely beautiful afternoon and we had a lovely time at kluge, with an stop at ash lawn highland, james monroe's home. i would post pictures of how it was the most gorgeous day ever except i didn't take my camera.

during our lunch at kluge my father and i must have spent about 20 minutes trying to explain to my mother the fact that the federal and state court systems are separate. i'm not sure why she didn't ask rob to explain this to her at dinner, since i don't actually know these things and when trying to provide an example of why i would not fare well in a clerkship interview i said, "b/c the judge would ask me something like, 'how far do you think the 13th amendment goes?'" and my friends laughed heartily and said it only went so far as to abolish slavery. clearly the question i was trying to come up with was, "do you think the 14th amendment incorporates the bill of rights against the states?" and that is an even better example of why i would not fare well in a clerkship interview. it took my mom quite some time (until i sent her the article about dan bress last year) for her to finally give up her belief that i would be a really great clerk for a supreme court justice. but i think she's finally realized that this isn't an example of laura "selling herself short," but actually an example of laura being "nowhere near qualified/intelligent enough" to do something. which i don't say to sell myself short. i say b/c, well, it's so damned true.

anyways, i've really got to quit posting b/c it is 1:15am and i have a 9am class and i still haven't read for my evening class tomorrow. i'm still trying to fine-tune my schedule. i thought there wouldn't be any drop/adding, but of course there has been. my latest attempt was brought on solely b/c of a sectionmate's email offering to let someone into his spot in a class. not that this class had ever crossed my mind. but all of a sudden i decided it was a brilliant idea. it would get me out of the 9am i had tried so desperately to get into with a horrible professor and it would allow me to revel in the joy that is michael p. doran once again and to sleep in a bit on tuesdays and thursdays. which would be awesome. now, of course, i have my heart set on it. you know how i can be. if i get into this, it will mean that i have picked up nearly half of my schedule based on off-hand remarks by other people, saying they were going to drop something that i had never considered taking. and you know what i say to that? what what. what what, indeed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lexi said...

I would also like to give a what-what to your parents, who were so fun and awesome at dinner Saturday. And I'm glad you let them do something fun :) Also, I would like to point out that I did not laugh when you did not know what the 13th amendment was, except to laugh when I realized I didn't know what it was either. What are we to do if we cannot laugh at ourselves?

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home